11. Where is Gayatri present?
Gayatri is present wherever the Mantra is chanted.
12. What are the three Names of Gayatri?
Gayatri has 3 names - Gayatri, Savitri and Saraswathi. These three are
present in each one of us. Gayatri is the master of the senses. Savitri
is the master of Prana (Life Force). Savitri signifies Truth. Saraswathi
is the presiding Deity of Speech (Vaak). These three represent purity in
Thought, Word and Deed (Trikarana Suddhi)
(One who practises purity and harmony of Thought, Word and Deed will
have Gayatri, Savitri and Saraswathi residing in him.)
13. To whom is the Gayatri Mantra addressed?
The Gayatri Mantra is addressed to the Immanent and Transcendent
14. What name has the Immanent and Transcendent Divinity been given?
The Immanent and Transcendent Divinity has been given the name 'SAVITHA'.
15. What does 'SAVITHA' mean?
'SAVITHA' means "that from which all this is born".
16. How many parts may the Gayatri Mantra be considered to have?
The Gayatri Mantra may be considered to have 3 parts. The Mantra has all
the three elements that figure in the adoration of God - Praise,
Meditation and Prayer. The first nine words represent the attributes of
" OM BHUR BHUVA SVAHA
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASYA "
" DHEEMAHI " pertains to Meditation.
" DHI YO YONAH PRACHODAYAT " is the Prayer to God to confer on us all
powers and talents.
17. What may these 3 parts also be described as?
The three parts may also be described as:
(1) Praise to Savitha. The Divine is first praised.
(2) Meditation on Savitha. The Divine is then meditated upon in
(3) Prayer to Savitha.
An appeal is made to the Divine to awaken and strengthen our Intellect,
the discriminating faculty (Buddhi) in us.
18. What is the Gayatri Mantra considered to be?
The Gayatri Mantra is considered to be the Essence of the Teaching of
the Vedas - the Veda Sara.
19. What does the Gayatri Mantra foster?
Chanting the Gayatri Mantra fosters and sharpens the knowledge-yielding
faculty in man.
20. What are the other benefits to one who chants the Gayatri Mantra?
To one who chants the Gayatri Mantra regularly and with faith -
the Gayatri Mantra is the reliever of diseases -
Sarva roga nivaarini Gayatri,
the Gayatri Mantra wards off all misery -
Sarva duhkha parivaarini Gayatri,
the Gayatri Mantra is the fulfiller of all desires -
Sarva vaancha phalasri Gayatri.