Sayings & quotes Of Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba -
Back to main
page - Sathya Sai Baba Quotes & sayings:
Divine Sayings of Sri Sathya Sai Baba
108 Sayings to be practiced in daily life
Arise and awake to establish the
Divine Attributes (Saisamrajya) based on the foundation of Truth,
Right conduct, Peace and Love.
- All is one; be alike to everyone. The world is
one; be good to everyone.
- Be good, see good and do good. That is the way to
- Our life becomes one of fulfillment when we live
- Money comes and goes; but morality comes and
- Time consumes everyone…..So do not waste time.
Time wasted is life wasted.
- The past is beyond recovery. We are not sure of
the future. The given moment is the right time.
Do not delay; do right action.
- Silence is the only language of the realized. It
is only in the depth of silence that the voice of God can be heard.
Silence stills the waves of one's heart.
- Life is lost in dreaming and being is lost in
- Do not be misled by this illusory world. Realize
the permanent Divine Spirit - the ultimate and absolute Reality,
unchanged and eternal, without end or beginning.
- One who understands the supreme being or God will
himself/herself become the supreme being.
- A person is born not to go in quest of material
prosperity. He is born to go in quest of their Divinity.
- Man without God is not a man. God without man is
- Realize that the Divine is present in every
living thing as the indwelling Divine Spirit.
- There is bliss and happiness in realizing the
unity inherent in diversity.
- All religions are roads leading to the one and
the only goal, that is God. So regard them all with equal respect
(All religions teach that you should purify your mind, know your own
self and develop Love).
- The truth is only yourself, what you see during
the day is a day dream, what you see during sleep is a night dream.
- God is present in your own heart and functions as
the witnessing consciousness all through. So we cannot hide anything
thinking God is elsewhere.
- Since God is the indwelling Divine Spirit of all
living beings, doing service or good to a person is in reality
worshiping God. Similarly talking ill or doing anything bad to a
person is in reality doing bad to God Himself or talking ill of Him.
- Good and bad, peace and agony, pain and pleasure,
all these originate within man and not outside him.
- Turn your mind inwards to your innate Divinity
and enjoy peace and equanimity. Be immersed in that bliss.
- Good and bad, happiness and sorrow, which appear
to be different and opposite, are in reality two faces of the same
- The mind is the sole cause for happiness as well
as for misery, for bondage or for freedom.
- If there are no two periods of pain there will be
no experience of pleasure, for pleasure is only an interval between
- We must try to do good to others and keep the
loss or suffering if any to ourselves. Then only do we deserve to
assert that God is with us.
- True spiritual life is that which teaches unity
or oneness and makes us selfless and full of love.
- Philosophy is the butter churned out of the milk
of knowledge. Divine Knowledge is the higher knowledge, by knowing
which we know everything and the ultimate reality.
- Every action of ours and every thought of ours
causes a reflection and a reaction and a resound.
- All that we do, either good or bad, knowingly or
unknowingly produces a result always and so it is necessary for us
to do good, so that the consequences will also be good.
- Life is not a one-way traffic. We should be
prepared to give and take.
- Love lives by giving and forgiving. Self lives by
getting and forgetting.
- The thought that comes from your mind should be
pure; the words you utter should be true and sweet and the work you
do should be sacred.
- The Good life is a journey from the position of
'I' to the position of ‘We’.
- When you wear the glasses of Divine Love, you
will see everywhere prema and can realize the God within you.
- Whatever you may do, if you do it with the
feeling that you are doing the same thing to yourself, you will
never do anything bad.
- Without first becoming a servant, you cannot
become a leader.
- Recognizing one's error is the beginning of
- When you point one finger at others note the
three fingers that point towards you. That is, when you point out
one fault in others, you must examine thrice whether there is any
fault in you.
- Practice before you preach, do not yourself do
the mistake which you find in others.
- If anyone points out any fault in you, you must
thank him, because by yourself you will not be able to find out your
own fault. As your eyes are directed outwards, you can find the
faults only in others.
- Association with good company is important; it
helps to cultivate good qualities.
- God gives you a garland made of all the good and
bad that you have done in previous lives. You have been born with
that garland round your neck.
- A bad act cannot give you good results; a good
act cannot give you evil results. You plant the seed; it grows into
the tree the seed contains.
- We are born not to be reborn again. We have to go
back to the place from which we have come, that is God. Attaining
that source is our ultimate goal of life.
- God is not something which is external or outside
you. It is present in you and is in your own self. Realize this.
- It does not matter if you live in this world, but
do not let the world live in you.
- Install God in your heart and offer Him the
fruits of your good feelings, the tears of joy on the leaf of your
- Worship the Lord in mind and offer Him something
that is yours, which is clean and fragrant, with the perfume of
virtues and innocence, and washed in the tears of repentance.
- Implicit faith in the Divine is the road to
- The Lord loves not the Devotee, but their
devotion - remember this.
- Surrender - Leaving everything to God's will is
the highest form of devotion. Whether we lose or gain, have pain or
pleasure, our faith must be unshaken. Whatever happens, accept it as
- God is an ocean of mercy. – Devotion is the
easiest way to win His Grace. God's Grace is like sunshine,
available to all.
- Faith and Devotion are the two oars with which
you can row the boat of life across the sea of our spiritual
- It is not possible for us to enter God's abode
without sense control and mind control.
- We can attain liberation even while performing
worldly duties, if our mind always remains immersed in Divinity.
Whatever work we may do, do it as offering to God.
- Having got this sacred chance of life as a human
being (which is very difficult to get) if we conduct ourselves like
animals, we will be wasting our lives and not justifying this gift
- When the mind is turned inwards, it looks only at
the Divine Spirit and enjoys the bliss. Therefore you will not
notice any difference between pleasure and pain, bad or good. You
will only realize the oneness of everything and become one with God.
This is real bliss, meaning equanimity.
- With the fear of sin, love for God, we must try
to lead our lives in a disciplined way in order to get real
- Whatever strength we have, if we do not have the
strength of Righteousness, all is futile. Real Righteousness comes
from God and from right conduct.
- Speak the truth.
- Where Righteousness is, God is, there is victory.
Without God's Grace, it is impossible to gain success.
- When God's Grace is there, no other influence can
do us harm. Try to earn that grace by sincere prayer and devotion
- Just as the Mother comes running as soon as she
hears her baby cry, similarly, if a person cries to the Lord from
the depth of their heart, He will help his devotee wherever they
- God never does things which do not have good
reasons behind them. He never utters words which have no meaning.
Whatever He does, sees and says, carries with it an inner deeper
- You may worship a picture as God, but not God as
picture. You can elevate everything to the level of God, but you
should not bring God down to the level of a picture.
- Only God's name can win Him, and only by sincere
Love and Devotion one can get round God - not by money or otherwise.
- To seek peace and happiness from outside us is a
great mistake. We should look within ourselves for peace and we can
enjoy real happiness if we do so with a clean mind.
- Watch - your Words, Action, Thoughts, Character
and Heart. The mind is mad monkey. You should not surrender to it.
You should watch it carefully as above and should have control over
- Ignorance is false identification of self with
one's own body. No one is isolated from the full stream of life.
Each one is a part and parcel of society.
- Friendship should not be based on consideration
of fear and favor. The only friend who will continue to be with you
for all time is the Divine friend - God.
- Live close and sit close by God. The benefit of
both is that the Highest Bliss of God will then flow to us.
- As close as you are to God, so close is God to
you. One who realizes that God is omnipresent will recognize that
God as closest to him and that he is nothing but God himself.
- Unless God's Grace and human efforts come
together the desired result cannot be achieved. So try to win God's
Grace by your Faith and Devotion.
- Pour out all the water of desire from the vessel
of you heart and fill it with the oil of God. Take the wick of your
higher self and dry it in the sunshine of detachment. Then the
immortal light of wisdom, will burn straight and bright.
- Laziness is equivalent to 'Dust' and 'Rust'
whereas selfless active work is like 'Rest' and 'Best'.
- Haste makes waste. Waste makes worry. So do not
be in a hurry. 'Slow and steady' wins the race.
- One's anger is one's greatest enemy and one's
calmness is one's strongest armor. One's Joy is one's best heaven
and one's sorrow is one's worst hell.
- Even the Divine Forms subjects Himself to
discipline for elders, and leaders must first practice discipline
and then only preach to others. God does not violate the regulations
and the principles that He has laid down.
- Realize the brotherhood of man and the fatherhood
of God. By your selfless service and Love, serve all, and try to
realize the unity in all.
- It is possible we may commit some wrong; but we
must not commit it after knowing it is wrong.
- In your words, thoughts and deeds, there should
- The real marks in school and college and in life
we should aim at are not getting any remarks.
- Regard your country as the Mother. We should
serve this Divine Mother. Follow our own sacred culture that the
Mother has preserved for us. Imitation is weakness.
- Those eager to rectify the world and put it on
the proper path, have first to rectify themselves and their own
conduct by controlling their senses and desires.
- Truth is God. To attain Truth, we have to hold on
- All rivers merge with the ocean. Similarly all
creation and all streams of life merge with the Source, namely God.
Aspire for that happy consummation.
- We come into the world with a cry but we should
not end our life with a cry. We should end our life with a smile.
- Life is granted to us by God to enable us to seek
and attain God.
- Eyes are given to us in order to help us to see
the Supreme One, the Omnipotent Divinity.
- Legs are provided for us in order to visit the
temple of God.
- Hands are given to us so that we may perform good
acts and offer worship for the Lord.
- Intelligence is granted to us so that we may
realize that all that we see in the world is temporary and that God
ALONE is the permanent reality.
- The tongue is given to us so that we might sing
the glory of the Lord and do recite the names of God.
- Ears are given to us so that we may listen to
songs praising the glory of the Lord.
- We have been given this body so that with its
help, we may do good to other beings.
- The basis for the entire world is the Love of the
Lord. However intelligent and scholarly a person may be, if that
person does not have love in his heart, he is a useless person.
- God is love - Live in love. Start the day with
love. Fill the day with love. End the day with love. That is the
way to God.
- Love and regard your mother and father as God and
serve them - then God's Grace will fall on you unasked.
- There is no use filling your head with mere
information and knowledge; instead fill your heart with Love.
Learning derived from the scriptures is of no avail if it does not
help you to reach the feet of the Lord.
- The essence of all scriptures is: Do good to
others and keep away from doing harm to others. Doing harm to others
is great sin.
- If you are not able to do good to others, at
least do not harm others and hurt their feelings.
- Do not forget God and do not fear death. Wait for
the happy moment of union with God. That is immortality.
- Knowledge is enriched by discipline and humility.
Be humble and noble.
- If we do not gather information, it is not
possible to achieve transformation.
- The guideposts or books will only tell you the
road or the direction for the destination. You must make the journey
and experience the joy and the victory.
- Wisdom is acquired by experience - Try to spread
the joy you have experienced to others and make them also happy.
- Only through acting according to His guidance,
you can have the vital presence of the spiritual teacher deep in
your heart. Then He will be living presence within you.
- Install 'SAI' in your Heart and be 'HAl'. That
is to say, install God, 'SAI', in your heart and be happy and